- Journals focused on specific art fields such as Architecture, Art/Art History, Arts, Film Studies, Music, or Performing Arts. Arts includes all listed previously except Film Studies. Looking for jewelry? Journals about decorative arts, such as The Journal of Decorative and Propaganda Artscan be useful, as can search terms like goldwork, metalwork, silversmith, etc.
- Journals focused on “Area Studies” such as African Studies, Asian Studies, British Studies, Irish Studies, Jewish Studies, Latin American Studies, Middle Eastern Studies, or Slavic Studies. There are three U.S. options: African American, American Indian, and American. Area Studies categories include relevant art journals.
- Journals focused on Archaeology, Classical Studies, Philosophy, or Religion
- Journals focused on Feminist & Women’s Studies
- Asian Art journals such as Archives of Asian Art (since 1966), Ars Orientalis (since 1954), andBulletin of the Asia Institute (since 1987)
- Greek/Roman Art journals such as Athenian Agora (since 1953), Corinth (since 1929), Hesperia(since 1932), Papers of the British School at Rome (since 1902)
- BOMB – delivers the artist’s voice through in-depth interviews between visual artists, writers, composers, directors & architects. BOMB‘s mission is to reveal artists’ ideas, their thoughts and creative processes, as well as their progress, through carefully developed dialogues
- Built Environment -crossing disciplines and providing global perspective, subject areas include: architecture; conservation; economic development; environmental planning; health; housing; regeneration; social issues; spatial planning; sustainability; urban design; and transport.
- Leonardo – founded in 1968 with the goal of becoming an international channel of communication for artists who use science and developing technologies in their work
- Popular Music – international multi-disciplinary journal covering all aspects of the subject from the formation of social group identities through popular music, to the workings of the global music industry, or how particular pieces of music are put together
If you open the detail page for a journal, you can search for articles within all issues of just that journal. You can also do this by typing the journal name in the Publication field of Advanced Search.
Art History on the Open Web
Renaissance Art tours
Art, Politics, and Cultural Change
Books in the Library
Painting, Photography, Posters, and Street Art
Sculpture, Objects, Ads, and Installations
Architecture and Design
Stage and Film
Interview with Anna Deavere Smith on PBS NOW from Aug. 2006