With the excitement of the UCI races sweeping across Richmond, the MW Library is sponsoring a series of workshops, contests, and drawings related to cycling.
Join in the fun by attending lunchtime workshops (and earn a prize drawing entry for EACH workshop you attend):
- 10/5 (Mon) Coast-to-Coast on Two Wheels –Ever imagined cycling across the U.S.A.? Yes, all that distance WITHOUT gasoline! Hear about Mr. Boyle’s cross-country ride and learn about recommended gear, planning steps & other tips
- 10/8 (Thur) Bike Safe – As local accidents in recent years have illustrated all too tragically, biking involves risk. Learn to maximize your safety on the road by learning from a certified bike safety expert, Mr. Boyle.
- 10/12 (Mon) Climbing Hills & Shifting Gears – Planning to tackle the Virginia Capital Trail starting at Great Shiplock Park? You’ll encounter a steep, long hill shortly after you begin. Learn how to tackle this and other hills with smarts by applying the principles of physics. Ditto for gear-shifting.
- 10/16 (Fri) Get the Wheels Turning! – Have the UCI races sparked your interest in cycling? Learn how to get started, benefits of rides v. races, and more with Coach Hawkins
Thanks to Mr. Boyle and Coach Hawkins for making these workshops possible!
You may also enter prize drawings:
- 10/9 – Road Rules 4 Drivers –take a short quiz on library site– highest scorer(s) in drawing
- 10/13 – Road Rules 4 Cyclists – take a short quiz on library site– highest scorer(s) in drawing
And contests for the grand finale on 10/16…
- Tunes for Bike Bells & Horns – Record a creative tune played on bike bells & horns
- #BikeSafe – Design a creative visual (e.g. poster, t-shirt, button, bumper sticker) that encourages bike safety for drivers/cyclists
- Wheel Power! – Build a gizmo that can be powered by the exercise bikes in the library
Prizes include bike bling and gift cards for Sugar Shack donuts!